Health, as defined by the World Health Organization, is “a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease and infirmity.” A healthy lifestyle helps to keep and improve people’s health and well-being. Eating healthy, managing weight and stress, and engaging in physical activities can keep a person healthy.
Our lifestyle can have an immense impact on how we feel. When we don’t take care of ourselves, we experience numerous problems like sleep difficulty, fatigue, trouble concentrating, and increased stress and tension. Let’s not forget that the goal of a healthy lifestyle is to help us function at our best. It also puts us in a better position to manage anxiety.
Below mentioned are some ideas that can be implemented to build a healthy lifestyle.
- Setting a routine: Setting up a routine makes us feel more secure as it provides some predictability to our day. It also reminds us to get things done and make time for ourselves.
- Exercising regularly: Regular exercise can have a positive impact on both physical and mental health. Exercise is one of the most powerful tools to manage stress and anxiety. Try joining a gym, or yoga at home, or find workout buddies. Ways like taking the stairs can increase physical activity.
- Eating healthy: Having a balanced diet has numerous advantages. It makes you feel better. Never skip meals. Eat consistently throughout the day. Aim for 3 meals a day and 1-2 snacks. Reduce salt and sugar intake. Eat more fruits and vegetables and drink plenty of water.
- Maintaining a sleep schedule: Sleep difficulties can lead to anxiety problems and makes it difficult to cope. Approx. 7-8 hours of proper sleep is much needed for the healthy functioning of our body. However, the amount can change with age.
- Establishing social supports: It is very important to have people in life that we can count on. They are the ones we can talk to when we have a bad day or when we are struggling with a problem. A good social network is linked to greater well-being. Unfortunately, it is difficult to make friends. Having at least one supportive friend can make a difference.
- Relaxing: Relaxation can help you lower tension and stress. Deep breathing, music and art therapy, yoga can help reduce stress.
It is important to make mindful choices for the benefit of our health and well-being. Nothing is more important to you than yourself. Make time for yourself. Be active, enjoy hobbies and spend time with friends and family.